1. Never rinse filter media under tap water. Always use a jug or bucket of water from your aquarium.
2. Keep all biological filters running 24/7
3. 30% minimum water change per fortnight: i.e. remove 1/3 of the remaining volume – don’t just rely on evaporation and do not change more than 50% in one hit.
4. Gravel clean your tank fortnightly whilst water changing.
5. Always use a good quality water conditioner (Removes: Chlorine, Chloramine and Heavy metals). Rainwater or Filtered water is NOT recommended for most situations (except top-ups).
6. Keep feeding to once daily and no more than what they can eat in 2 minutes. (Always remove any uneaten food).
7. Always acclimatize your fish slowly into a new tank, roll edges of the bag down and add aquarium water slowly for 10-15mins.
8. When setting up a new tank, add a few fish weekly but be sure to test for ammonia and nitrite before each new addition!
9. To keep your fish in good health, check your water on a regular basis (pH, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate).
10. Keep a list of the fish that you purchase (ask a staff member to write the species name down for you). Read up on the fish you have; get to know what you have and what to do with them.
11. Never clean the tank with detergents or other household chemicals – Label fish buckets “AQUARIUM USE ONLY”.
12. To keep algae at bay, only have your aquarium lights on for maximum of 8-10 hours a day.